TUSKON awarded damages, to build orphanage in Uganda


Date posted: March 25, 2014

ISTANBUL

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) said it has won compensation in separate cases for the illegal wiretapping of a phone conversation which turned into a smear campaign against the confederation and that this money will be used to build an orphanage in Uganda, the country at the center of the smear campaign.

Earlier in December, a voice recording surfaced on social media in which Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and TUSKON Secretary-General Mustafa Günay discuss business opportunities in Uganda. Günay also mentioned gifts sent from Uganda, which included pineapples. Günay also consulted Gülen about a tender for a refinery in that country, saying that a Turkish company — Koç Holding, if possible — should enter it.

For days after, government officials, including Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, publicly mocked the pineapple remarks. Erdoğan said, “We will not allow a pineapple republic in Turkey,” in reference to the phone conversation between Günay and Gülen, which had been illegally wiretapped.

In reaction to some who alleged that “pineapple” was a codeword for diamonds, Koç Holding CEO Mustafa Koç said those statements were untrue. Following this, TUSKON said it had launched legal complaints about the smear campaign. TUSKON said the pineapple issue was part of the Turkish culture of giving gifts, adding that the organization objected to others making fun of the issue.

“We have filed a total of 60 lawsuits against the alleged accusations, all due to the same phone wiretap, and the courts found TUSKON right in all of them. …we will receive compensation following our claim for damages and this will be allocated to the construction of a new orphanage in Uganda,” Günay told reporters in İstanbul on Tuesday. He declined to mention the size of the compensation. Günay said it was his job description is to help Turkish businessmen, regardless of whether they are members of his business organization or not, to build commercial relations with Uganda or any other country.

TUSKON earlier stated that it was saddening to see Günay’s efforts to help Turkish companies win an oil refinery tender become the subject of unrelated debates, instead of being appreciated.

“They do not extract diamonds in Uganda; they don’t even have gold. … I do not know where these people came up with such unrealistic claims,” Günay said, adding that TUSKON will work even harder to cement Turkish ties with Uganda.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 25, 2014


Related News

Turkish humanitarian NGO has cured 30,000 cataract sufferers

Kimse Yok Mu, a Turkish NGO delivering humanitarian aid around the world, has so far cured 30,180 people suffering from cataracts in Sudan, Chad, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo and Niger as of September 2014. Kimse Yok Mu’s cataract campaign seeks to eventually cure hundreds of thousands in the area.

Liberian Government: Turkish school to remain open

The Liberian Government says the Turkish Light International School System remains a private institution of learning in Liberia and enjoys all the privileges provided all educational institutions operating in the country have until it concludes an investigation into allegations that operators of the school here were linked to a failed coup in Turkey.

Kimse Yok Mu continues to help needy despite gov’t restrictions

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) is still extending a helping hand to those in need, especially during the holy month of Ramadan, despite restrictions imposed by the government on the organization’s ability to campaign for donations.

Turkish School Officially Opens in Rwanda

FRANK KANYESIGYE Hope Kids Academy, an international Turkish school located in Kigali’s prime suburb of Nyarutarama, was on Friday evening officially opened. The school that admits children of four and five years of age offers Cambridge International Primary Programme (CIPP) and Cambridge ICT starters’ programme. The academy has both nursery and primary sections. The initial […]

Nigeria won’t allow mistreatment of her students by Turkey – Presidency

According to Dabiri-Erewa: “The Federal Government is taking the detention of Nigerian students by Turkish authorities seriously. It seems that Turkey is trying to get at Nigeria for our failure to close down the 17 schools they requested. The government did not close down these schools because their owners and managers, who are private people have not breached Nigerian laws.”

Turkey’s post-coup crackdown moves overseas

In several cases, Turkey has offered to run the seized institutions, although it is expected to face legal challenges. Kimse Yok Mu, which had more than 200,000 volunteers in 100 countries before being forcibly closed after the coup attempt, is understood to be preparing to take the decision to international courts. Joshua Hendrick, an expert on the Gulen movement said Ankara faced a big challenge when it came to stepping into the shoes of its former allies.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet movement and government

Gülen movement-backed Abant Platform to discuss Alevi-Sunni ties

EP condemns media crackdown in name of rule of law, press freedom

International symposium on the Hizmet Movement and Peacebuilding

Turkey introduces new decree law to seize all Gulen-related companies

EU lends support to mosque-cemevi project

With Husband Already In Jail, Woman Along With Two Children Detained In Post-Coup Witch Hunt

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News